8/28/06

Corner Office, but still no Ocean View

It's been a month now, since my boss, on the very last minute, promoted me by exiling me to another office, to salvage the possibility of losing a major law firm account. As soon as I got back from my mini vacation, I was shipped seven blocks away, demoted to a lower floor, but given a corner office. The only people in this firm who get a corner office in the entire building are the partners. Well, who was I to complain, since I did not have to make partner and even go to law school, for that matter, to get my corner. I even have a bigger office than some of my neighboring attorneys. My only complaint is that I still do not have my requested ocean view. I guess it is an impossible request, if one's office is in downtown Los Angeles. For now my view is a construction site of another future condo, the old Hotel Figueroa (which side wall is used for movie promos), the Staples Center, the L.A. Convention Center, the 110 Pasadena/Harbor Freeway, and the infamous L.A. smog.

The dress code in this trial law firm is so laid-back, it is almost difficult to differentiate the mailroom boy from a partner who is wearing a torn vintage T-shirt, cargo pants, and flip-flops. They change to their power suits only when they travel, go to court or meet with clients. Even if I like dressing up, I find it such a refreshing change. I guess I'll just have to adapt and update my homey wardrobe for casual Mondays to Fridays.

I find mys
elf busier than ever and more stressed, taking no breaks, leaving the office late, skipping the gym, having dinner very late, and losing sleep. At this pace, the firm had better give me my ocean view, or else!...LOL.

No comments: