11/4/08

Diary of a 39-year-old first-time voter

I am a bit embarrassed and yet at the same time very proud to admit that this is my first time to vote in my life. From the time I was eligible to vote at age 18 and left my beautiful homeland, the Philippines, at age 25, I failed to vote on only one Presidential Election. My memory as to why I did not vote during that election where Fidel V. Ramos won the Philippine presidency has completely abandoned the inner recesses of my brain. The succeeding 11 years marked my journey of being a citizen living away from his motherland and my struggle of trying to belong to the land I now called home. Exactly two years ago, I finally became a U.S. citizen, and since then I have been looking forward to this day when I finally get to exercise my right to vote.
I set my alarm to go off unusually very early today and was planning to be there when the polls opened at 7AM. Bill convinced me to wait after 9AM, when most likely most of those who have to drive to work would have already voted and left. I was very anxious to go and worried that there might be a very long line and would have to eventually call in late for work, but I gave in to trusting his experience. He was right. Damn! I was in and out of there in 10 minutes. Woohoo!
I am very excited to be part of this historic U.S. elections.

"really" putting country first and
hoping for the change we can believe in

no question about it

voting for equality and against discrimination

casting my ballot




I am optimistic that we will be celebrating tonight!

This could be the future, had I not voted:

No comments: