12/31/08

End of the Year Newsletter 2008

I really was not looking forward to 2008 in the beginning of the new year for reasons that may read morbid.
Both Bill's and my parents are all octogenarians and were undergoing some health issues in 2007.
I have friends who also have some major health issues.
So, as you can imagine, we were dead scared that 2008 had the potential to be a very sad year.
Fortunately, we still have his mom, Mabel, and both my parents alive and healthy.
Now, they all are stable and doing very well.

Besi, miraculously, with medication, exercise, and lots of love, is somehow better than ever and acts like a 12 1/2-year old puppy. Birdie turned 10, but still acts like a puppy. We also found a new puppy Maltese (who got lost during the L.A. earthquake), Sachi, for my niece to adopt. This year marked 10 years since we lost Koko in that tragic drowning accident.

This year also marked the start of my last year as a 30-something, and Bill had his big birthday. We celebrated 13 years of togetherness.

We decided to postpone our decision to get married or not until the end result of the elections.
As a 2-year old U.S. citizen, I was very excited to vote for the first time in my life.
The election result was bittersweet. We cried with tears of joy & hope with Obama's win and
cried with tears of sadness & disbelief with the passing of Prop 8.

Since 2007, I had already saved all my vacation days mainly for a trip back to my homeland, the Philippines, towards the end of the year 2008. We were planning to have a family reunion for X'mas back home to also celebrate my Mom's 80th birthday and my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, for various reasons, the family had to postpone all plans.
So at the last minute, I planned our main big vaca-sean this year to Ecuador and Peru. I mainly pushed for these destinations, since I gathered that their respective tourism boards were looking into limiting tourist access to the world wonders, the Galapagos Islands and Machu Picchu by the end of 2009. We had a blast! We also made some domestic trips to Chicago, Monterey, San Francisco, New York, and San Diego.

With the crashing of the market/global economic crisis, Bill was extremely busy, since all his clients were naturally in a state of panic. My company unfortunately had to lay-off some people. I am grateful that I was not one of the unfortunate few.

Here's wishing that things will turn out okay and be better for all of us in the new year.

No comments: