6/10/06

Binational Gay Couples in US in Immigration Bind

I am one half of a binational couple. I am Filipino and my life partner is American. There was a time in the early years of our relationship and of my life in the U.S. that I was constantly plagued by the fear that we would have to be separated one day due to the current immigration policy that does not extend the same legal rights to binational gay relationships as they do with married binational heterosexual couples. There are a lot of same sex couples who are in this quandary, including several friends of mine. In due time I was lucky enough to get my immigration status in order and was able to legally continue living my life in the States with my partner. But most are not so fortunate. My heart goes out to my brothers and sisters in the community who are in this predicament. Here's hoping that one day things will change and proper legislation will rectify this gross inequity!

Please click HERE for more details.

No comments: